Wallenstein castle ruins
The Wallenstein castle was originally built in the high Middle Ages, and was first mentioned in the early 13th century as castle "Wallinsteyn" = stone in the woods. The castle was presumably erected in the 12th century by the Hersfelder abbot, and was destroyed during the 30 Years War by Croatian troops of the emperor in 1637. The ruins were only restored in more recent times to preserve the complex from further decay. Still preserved today are the stair tower to the former living area (Pallas) that now serves as look-out tower, as well as the entrance area to the main castle and parts of the surrounding stone wall. Currently we offer highly diverse activities from camping on the castle grounds to special events.
freely accessible at all times
Cafe directly at the swimming pool beneath Wallenstein castle
May - September daily opened (primarily afternoons)
Tel.: (+49) (0) 56 86/395