Reformation church of St. Mary (Marienkirche)
The Homberg town church St. Mary is visible at a long distance, one of the most beautiful and important buildings in Hesse. The hall church was erected on the foundation of a Romanesque basilica in the first half of the 14th century.
The worldwide first evangelical Synod was convened in 1526 in Homberg by Landgrave Philipp the Magnanimous, and the principles for the Reformation in Hesse were created there. The gorgeous Reformation window from the year 1893 depicts the synod and the officially conferred title “Reformation Town of Hesse”.