The predecessor of the traditional Nikolai Church originally stood at the former Nicolaitor.
The Catholic parish church had a predecessor building in Nicolaistraße. This was a single-nave hall church situated directly on the city wall, which was probably built in the first half of the 12th century. The neighbouring Nicolaitor also served as a bell tower.
The old church was demolished in 1767/68.
The new church of St. Nikolai was built in the late Baroque style on the market square from 1766 with the help of the prince abbot Philipp v. Spiegel (Wappenstein) and consecrated in 1770. However, the financing of the new building presented great difficulties, as the small Catholic congregation could only contribute a little. Apart from monetary donations, the Catholic citizens provided considerable manual labour. Although unsightly and badly damaged by worm infestation, the altars were initially taken over from the previous building.
The present altar was made by Master Schwarze in 1782 and financed from the estate of the then dean. At the end of the 19th century, the church was extended in the neo-Romanesque style.